Friday, September 11, 2009

Ahhh, Please tell me more about your perfect life.

Well, as you may or may not know, my husband and I are approved foster parents. We don't actually have any kids placed with us right now.  We completed MAPP classes April 2009 and have had 1 placement of a boy/girl sibling group since then. They were with us 7 weeks and were returned to their parents.  They were really sweet kids. We had a good time and learned alot from that placement.

We entered the Foster program for 2 main reasons. 
1. to possibly have a baby/young child land in our laps for us to later adopt.
2. to help some beautiful children, and have a little fun- while waiting for #1.

We've had a few calls for other placements since the first placement left, but have declined them.  We realize that most, if not all, of the kids in foster care have alot of baggage and icky issues. We want to try to not get in over our heads and we are being somewhat selective.  Since we have no kids of our own, and have fairly limited parenting experience, we don't want to make situations worse. 

I believe we are officially over the "trauma" of the first placement, and are now ready to take on another!

Our social worker met with us today for her quarterly visit.  Basically, she just reiterated that the liklihood of us having a single tiny baby placed in our arms, is very slim.  This was nice to hear.

The ups and downs with all this infertility/family business is making me crazy.  One minute I'm excited and happy, thinking the perfect child is just around the corner.  The next minute, I'm near tears and depressed and see no hope in sight. 

It doesn't help that I know people who have had 2 kids in the time I'm trying for ONE. Every day at work (and trust me it is EVERY day) I hear story after story of someone who's pregnant, some baby's birth, some baby's actions, etc. blah blah blah. I have enjoyed hearing about everything. I'm like a sponge. Soaking up everything everyone tells me. Thinking that maybe one day I'll need the information. 

However, lately, I'm not feeling so interested about hearing the ins and outs of it all.  I'm even feeling some anger.  I don't like feeling anger, especially against people and their happiness.  I know this is all something I need to work on, and I will. I will get through it.  I always do.

No comments:

Post a Comment